Places to see
Fatima is not only a place of religion
Also visit the country side and the various places that the Parish has to offer.
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima gives expression to the request of Our Lady of the Rosary, alluded on August 13, 1917 and expressly indicated in the apparition of October 13 of that year the Lúcia de Jesus, Francisco Marto and Jacinta Marto. It currently has two basilicas and the Chapel of the Apparitions.
The most symbolic celebrations take place on 12 and 13 May and on 12 and 13 October.
This modern work of engineering and faith, by the architect Tombazis, has a total of 8,633 seats, including 76 for people with motor difficulties. The structure of the roof has an area of 12,315 m². Inside, it has a slightly inclined plane, allowing a good visibility of the altar from all angles.
For the innovation of the construction, she was awarded the Setil Engineering Award in 2007 and the “Outstanding Structure 2009” International Award.
Opened in May 2017, it is considered the largest steel heart in the world, 12 meters high and wide.
The sculpture is author Fernando Crespo.
It is named after Pope Francisco and is located next to the Tourist Office.
The current edifice of the Parish Council of Fátima was inaugurated on May 25, 1958. The building, located on Avenida Irmã Lúcia de Jesus, just off the Parish Church of Fatima, stands out for its elegant turret.
The Church of Fatima dates from 1568. It was in this Church that the three Little Shepherds were baptized.
Visits are not allowed at the times of the celebrations.
According to tradition, in the Cabeço of Ortiga, Our Lady appeared to a silent shepherdess. The first chapel of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Ortiga dates from 1758. The pilgrimage to this Sanctuary goes back at least to the XVIII century.
Even today, on the first Sunday of July and the next two days, the population of the parish, in addition to keeping some promises and attending religious ceremonies, shares a communal meal.
It was also next to the chapel that a great part of the dates of Fatima began.
This particular chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, is of Gothic style (restored). It will have been erected in the so-called Casal do Farto, in the fourteenth or fifteenth century.
Schedule subject to appointment.
In front of the Chapel of Casal Farto you can also observe a valuable sundial inscribed on the cimalha of one of the houses, dated 1682.
Houses where the Blessed Francis and Jacinta Marto and the cousin Sister Lucy of Jesus were born and lived.
The two houses can be visited in Aljustrel, now functioning as Museum Houses, belonging to the Sanctuary of Fatima.
Located in Aljustrel, next to the house of Sister Lúcia de Jesus. Inaugurated in 1992, it functions as the museum's core of the Sanctuary.
In the House can be observed the four nuclei that help to understand the daily life at the time of the apparitions.
Beginning at the Rotunda of St. Therese of Ourém (Rotunda Sul) and following the path customarily followed by the little shepherds, the Via-sacra on the Path of the Shepherds ends at the Hungarian Calvary - originally called "Hungarian Calvary Cardinal Mindzenty" - whose chapel is dedicated to St. Stephen, King of Hungary.
Located in Aljustrel, it was the place where the first and third apparitions of the Angel were given to little shepherds.
Dominating the Fazarga are the old windmills that flour wheat, corn, barley and rye. The typical mill in the region was masonry, round in shape, with movable cap. It had 3 feathers and 2 wheels, with a rear axle and a top in the middle.
Inaugurated in 2014, this is an area evocative of the life and spirituality of Francisco and Jacinta Marto that attracts the attention of the pilgrims. Owned by the Francisco and Jacinta Marto Foundation, for which he is responsible. Casa das Candeias is open to the public daily with free tickets and is located at Rua de São Pedro, Cova da Iria.
Hours: 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm.
Contact: 249 539 780
It brings together a vast collection of Portuguese sacred art and ethnography from various countries of the world, with a high artistic and cultural interest. It tells the story of Christ and the Missions in their journey, leading the visitor to meet the mysteries of the Christian faith across the five continents. It also exhibits in the Room of the Little Shepherds several relics of Saints Francis and Jacinta Marto.
10h00 -13h00 | 14h00 -18h00 (April - October)
10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. | 14h00 -17h00 (November - March)
More information: http://masefatima.blogspot.pt/
Situated 100 meters from the Sanctuary, the Wax Museum, over three decades, has given the opportunity to relive the most important events in the history of Fatima that celebrated it as Altar of the World through figures close to the real.
From April 1 to October 31 From November 1 to March 31
Mon to Sat 09:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Mon to Sat. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
More information at: www.mucefa.pt
The Olive Oil Museum, housed in the first mill of the Fatima Cooperative, tells the story of the manufacture of olive oil in the region, presenting the ancestral equipment that was used in the past.
The museum includes an area for the promotion of local products, such as honey, cheese or wine, also organizing olive oil proofs.
Daylight savings time: 10am - 1pm and 2pm to 6pm
Winter time: 10am - 1pm and 2pm to 7pm
More information: www.azeitefatima.pt
Through a virtual, interactive route, with multimedia contents of last generation, allows to take the visitor in an unforgettable journey of experiences, sensations and emotions. With the use of new technologies (holograms and 4D), the beginning of the twentieth century, with a historical background, recreates the apparitions of the Angel of Portugal and of Our Lady to the three Shepherds, the Miracle of the Sun and, recalls, visits from Pope John Paul II to Fatima, the procession of candles and the Secret. It is located in the Fatimae Space, on D. José Alves Correia da Silva Avenue.
(April - October) - 9:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
(November - March) - 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
More information at: www.omilagredefatima.com